SHARK’S EYE - A REVOLUTIONARY FISHING TOURNAMENT TO SAVE SHARKS.
$10000 CASH PRIZES
Boat Limit: 25
When: July 8 & 9 2015
Where:Montauk Marine Basin 426 Westlake Dr Montauk NY 11954
Shark’s Eye is the first Montauk-based, no-kill, satellite tag shark tournament.
Selected sharks will be tagged with GPS tags during the event. Sharks that are tagged and released will photographed to determined validity. Points will be awarded based on species.
ANNUAL SHARK’S EYE SATELLITE RELEASE SHARK TOURNAMENT To qualify for release points: A shark will qualify for a release after a crew member grabs the leader or the swivel hits the rod tip. To be considered for release points, all sharks must be photographed with the camera supplied by the Tournament Committee. The picture should show the shark in the water with someone holding the leader or the swivel at the rod tip. The species of the shark must be identifiable by the photo. After the shark has been released, the dry-erase Catch Board (supplied in tournament registration packet) must be filled out and photographed. Required information on the board includes: • Boat number • Time of catch • Type of shark (species) • Daily Code Number followed by release number ( if daily code is 1463 each shark would be numbered as such 1463-1,1463-2 and so forth for each shark released)
After photographing the Catch Board, a committee boat should be contacted by radio (VHF channel 72) to record the release. Teams that are able may use their cellular or satellite phones to record releases by calling 631-804-8666 or 631-804-8776 and leaving a recorded message with details of the catch. Each shark released must be recorded on the Daily Shark Recorder (DSR) supplied in tournament registration packet. All tournament boats will be considered to be “Committee Boats” and may record (on the back of their DSR) shark releases of other tournament fishing teams. For release points to be considered, teams must turn in their tournament camera and DSR to the tournament committee by 6 pm each day they fish. These two items must either be turned in to our tournament patrol boat inside the inlet, or Montauk Marine Basin headquarters Teams will be given a camera for their second day of fishing along with a written confirmation from the tournament committee when they hand in their cameras and DSRs. Smart Phone cameras may also be used and emails sent to the committee. But also the tournament camera must turned as well with the photos of each released shark.
Release point system • Blue sharks sand bar(Brown) = 1 point each • Mako, Hammerhead, Tiger Dusky = 4 points each • Thresher = 6 points each • Great White = 10 points each Determination of Category winners Release category winners will be determined by the total amount of points accumulated during the tournament. First, second, and third place winners will be determined by the teams that accumulate the most points during their two days of fishing.
*In the event of a tie in points; the winner will be determined by the team that released the most number of sharks regardless of their point value. If this process still does not break the tie, the winner will be determined by the time of day each team released their last shark.
General Tournament Rules
1.All I.G.F.A. Rules will apply. Use of mammal blood of flesh is prohibited. No Sampson post or stand up fighting chairs permitted. Refer to I.G.G.A. Angling Regulations One hand off rule shall apply
2. All boats must be a minimum of 25 ft. in length, and must sail from Montauk Lake each day.
3. No boats may leave the inlet before 6:00 lines in at 7:30 am lines out at 4:30 pm Boat must return by 7:00pm each day Time determined by GPS.
4 . Each boat must check in with tournament committee before departing to fish. All captains must leave check out cards with committee member at front desk . at that time the participant will be given a unique number for that day of fishing
5.. Each boat must turn in DSR (Daily Shark Release) card at the end of fishing day with tournament committee member at front desk ..
6. Fishing may be called due to bad weather conditions by the tournament committee prior to each fishing day. Only one day of fishing will be needed for the tournament, and determination of prize information
7. NOAA Release Tags will be supplied at captains meeting limited to 10 tags per boat.
8. Montauk Marine Basin Inc. employees and tournament committee members are not responsible for any accidents incurred during the tournament.
9. Tournament VHF radio channel will 72 .
10. Only 25 boats will be allowed in this Prestigious Event on a first come first serve basis
11. Teams will consist of 4 anglers and one observer for each vessel. The observer will selected by a lottery system and will alternate boats daily
12. Only circle hooks will be allowed in this tournament.